Thursday, October 6, 2011

How we learn

I took a test a few years ago about my personality type.  I'm an "advocate" like Bill Moyer and Joan Baez.  I was like, whoa, that's cool.  I'm here to represent something.  And then I was filled with "what" am I supposed to represent? I still don't know, but the test was really freakin' cool.

I'm basically an expressive personality type with driver tendencies.  "Hey follow me guys!!" then a minute later, "HEY!!!" Thus far I have been fairly unsuccessful at the leadership gig, but I tried.  My leader was terrible.  He refused to accept me for who I am and chose, rather painfully to criticize and insult me.  So, I left.

I learn musically.  I am the girl you see driving down the highway screaming along at 90 mph.  I played the French Horn in junior high.  It sucked, but I wasn't bad at it.  I supposedly have perfect pitch, but it was never trained.  Now I just howl along and hit most of the notes.

Basically hearing is my primary sense.  I love music.  I love spoken word.  I love audio books.  Jeez, college was so much easier the second time since I could download books on my topic and listen to them while I was at work doing data entry.  I learned a lot and wrote the best papers.  I was able to earn my attitude.  My tech writing teacher was awesome.  Joe if you ever read this, you gave as good as you got.

Once I figured out about my brain <-> ear connection I started to figure more and more stuff out.

So in addition to my last post, I think perhaps the government should spend money on aptitude tests that teach us how best to improve the next generation's chance of success.  I may have gotten one in the 7th grade that said I would be a good writer.  I hope I'm good enough.  I've tried pretty hard and this is the first time I've decided to make a concerted effort. (Yes I see the irony between my ability to hear versus read, but I love words.)

If you like me, will you tell your friends?  I'd like to start a discussion.  How do we learn?  How do we fit?  How do we communicate our needs so that people and the government will listen?  I want to look President Obama in the eye one day and say, "Thank you for hearing us."  Right now, it's just me though.  So what do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment