Monday, September 16, 2013

Unmarked

I have always wanted to get a tattoo.  But I hesitated because I have sensitive skin.  I found out that some tattoos have metal in them and I'm allergic to a lot of metals.

Examples include:

  • When I was 22 I had 3 silver fillings fall out within 5 days. 
  • I was unable to wear my class ring because it caused a rash
  • If I wear cheap metal jewelry it will turn my skin red in a matter of minutes.
  • I tried to have my ears pierced twice and both times it failed to heal so I had what amounted to an open wound for several months each time before giving up.


Currently I have 4 noble-metal crowns and I have replaced all of my fillings with porcelain.  Part of my dental issues are that I have crappy teeth, but the other part is my silver fillings reacted badly with my chemistry and caused further tooth issues.  The teeth can be discussed further in a later post.  I can tell you horror stories that will leave you flossing after every meal.

So, no tattoo for Melissa.

As I got older I researched hypo-allergenic inks and options for designs.  I decided since I am a firm believer in science I would get the equation for the Higgs-Boson particle. It is also referred to as the "God particle" because it supposedly has the potential to be the primary component that created the universe.  I took physics in high school and watched a few documentaries on PBS and am therefore not an expert.

I would get something like this:


Or this:

But considering my knowledge is limited I fear that I have no idea what either means.  I just think it looks cool.  That's what most tattoos represent, right?  "It looked cool so I permanently affixed it to my skin."

I also like this:


In case you aren't a geek it's the T.A.R.D.I.S or what Doctor Who and his companions travel through space and time with. 

When I met Charles I told him what a geek I was and presented him with the image of an equation I wanted to get tattooed on my back.  He casually said that he wasn't into tattoos and I admitted that I didn't have any and that was the end of the discussion.

Then I saw this:


It's a white line tattoo and it makes me happy. There is no metal in white ink. To me it looks lovely and classy and beautiful.  When I brought it to Charles' attention he said, "I'm really not into tattoos.  They will take away your girl-next-door cred and I have issues with that."  We have had long discussions and he has pointed out beautiful girls with "She doesn't have any girl-next-door cred..."  And that's what attracts him to me.

So... no tattoos.  Hmph... 

Today I was in Whole Foods.  Everywhere I looked there were men and women with tattoos.  It is an accepted practice in today's society to get them.  Then I saw a guy with a tattoo on his face.  Really?... on your face?  The only place you can get a job with that is Whole Foods.  

So I realized that I was likely the only person in there over the age of 30 that didn't have a tattoo in the store.  You know what?  That makes me a rebel.  And that's a perfect excuse not to get one.  I'm satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment