Friday, September 27, 2013

Not again... More table manners


I went to Threadgill's with my Mom last night.  We hadn't been there in a few weeks and I do generally like their food.  Actually she wanted to go to dinner at Brio or PF Changs or NXNW and I wasn't in the mood for the crowd, the wait or the pretense.  At Threadgill's I didn't have to do anything to look nicer.

We were seated in a section away from the main dining room that has the makings for a nicer intimate setting.  We sat down and immediately three men behind us finished eating and started talking.  They were older men.  None of them could hear the others so they were shouting at each other.  I could hear their entire conversation and had to speak over them to place my order.

Now I perceive this as an irritation.  They couldn't help they had hearing issues.  My only complaint was their series of comments about waitresses in general.  They also were bashing the University of Texas football team.  I could give a shit, but that's dangerous territory in Austin where they are the home team and everyone loves them and everything they represent.

These guys would be classified as a rowdy distraction and there's nothing anyone, especially them, can do about it.

My dad was like that.  He was loud, mean and vulgar at every opportunity unless the waitress was really pretty and then he'd hit on her.  Yes... my 80 year old father, shriveled by age and disability would hit on any woman who might have even a little pretty in her.  That was always fun.  That's a table manner... Don't hit on the waitress.

The biggest issue was after the men left a woman behind me had a very personal conversation with a friend who was putting his mother into hospice care.  She might as well have come to our table sat down and vomited on the table.  That's how appropriate her conversation was in that setting.

So to her I say, Take that shit outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment