Friday, December 7, 2012

Nature Should Happen to Other People


Perhaps in the personal ad I placed I should have declined to expose myself to nature.  I think my words were something to the effect of, "I'm not into doing things outside, but I'm willing to learn."  The guy who won the craigslist, Charles, likes to do things outside.  In order to avoid false advertising I have to at least try it, right?



A little history:

I go from pasty to fuchsia in about 15 minutes.  I have suffered from horrible sunburns that scarred, left me sick for days and inspired my parents to treat the environment better in order to preserve the ozone layer.   Yes, there has been more than one because in my youth there was no such thing as water proof sunblock.  As an adult I have endured two major sun burns, both more severe than any I had as a child.  The side effect of one of the medicines I take is, "may increase skin sensitivity to the sun."  Well, thanks there ya stupid drug manufacturer.

In short, I do my absolute best to stay out of the day, seeing as it is all bright and spiky and such.  Charles insisted though, brought 80 SPF sunblock and a cooler for a picnic so I acquiesced.

Now, I have been in nature several times times and each time for longer than the time before.  We have gone to Pedernales Falls State Park, Emma Long City Park and Mt. Bonnell.  There were other places but I didn't always get pictures.  From Mt. Bonnell you can see how the 1% live.


Okay, I must confess.  I kinda had fun.  Charles's father was apparently into nature and he knew all the plants in the areas where Charles grew up.  So Charles pointed things out to me and I listened.  I don't know how well I listened because I was busy trying not to hate it.  As time goes on I think I retain more of the things he tells me. I don't know what these flowers are called, but they're pretty.



Apparently normal people go outside to see pretty things, like flowers, so that leads me to believe that especially in the spring I might be more inclined to think happy thoughts about going outside.

What do I enjoy most?  Well I enjoy the time I get to spend with Charles.  As long as we're together and I still like him and I stay relatively burn-less I am willing to go and do nature with him.  If any of those things change, back to the safety of the tame indoors I go.  For the record though, there will be NO camping.  Ever.  Charles, if you're reading this, we can afford a hotel.

Now, one of my new favorite subjects is this guy:




And with that, my loyal fan(s), I leave you with the sincere intent to write more often.  I encourage you to get outside and enjoy some nature.  I encourage you more to get a funny cat, give it a ridiculous name and inundate the internet with its pictures so I can laugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment