Monday, March 11, 2013

Pinback


Up until Friday night Pinback was one of my new favorite bands. I overcame my issues with crowds and eagerly waited for an hour and a half through what was either an ironically stupid or just plain stupid opening act.  They came on and I was really impressed because they almost sounded like their studio music.  It was pretty obvious they didn't know they needed to warm up their voices. Once they got into their set they quit missing notes and sounded like their studio albums.

About half way through the show I got tired of the people behind me dancing and hitting my back.  My boyfriend moved to shield me from them and the girl wedged herself into his space shoving us both to the side.  She was squealing and thrashing about excitedly and I decided I no longer wanted to be close to this obnoxious young woman.

I am trying to live a life dedicated to non-violence since I've become a volunteer at SafePlace, the local battered women's shelter.  I wanted to throat punch the girl for shoving us out of our spots.  She is the reason I avoid concerts because when I am at home or in my car listening to my music I rarely feel compelled to commit any act of violence.  I also get to listen to their cleaned up, studio sound without weather or stupid, ironically or otherwise, opening acts.

Because my friend texted me that she was at the show we decided to stay. The crowd wasn't so bad where we landed after being unceremoniously shoved out of our spots. I decided it was an opportunity for me and my boyfriend to hold hands and slow dance like we would've in high school.  Considering he makes me feel young again it was perfectly acceptable.

After the show we found my friend and went for coffee.  We agreed their songs sounded a lot alike but the encore was pretty good.  It was a pretty good show.  It was worth the price of admission.

I must add they no longer occupy a spot among my favorites though.  The song I've attached is one of my favorite songs. It is the best example of 75 songs that sound a lot alike.  Perhaps the lyrics are different but the tempo, sound and general feel of the songs are all the same.

Because their songs do mostly sound alike I've removed them from the upper echelons of my favorites.  They remain safely among the bands I am happy to hear though.  That's saying a lot because if Sting and the Indigo Girls knew I'd finally rejected them after many years I'm sure they would be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you stayed because I texted you. Thanks for sticking around!

    ReplyDelete