Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Tax evasion

Brief lesson in Unemployment: You work.  Your company pays unemployment taxes.  They terminate you.  You file and get benefits.  Your company's tax rate increases based on that claim for unemployment.  This is a rough sketch.
Your employer paid $1 billion dollars in wages.  (In Texas, there is only one employer that has paid $1billion in wages.) That's a lot of money.  Right?  So, if their tax rate is 6% that is $60 million dollars.  (I checked my math with 2 calculators. Yes. $60 million dollars.)  This goes into the trust fund.  If you file for unemployment in Texas you'll get $415 a week for 26 weeks. Honestly, I'm still stuck on that amount of money.  I mean just in taxes, that's a lot of money.  SO it's reasonable to think that a company might try to get around this.
Situation: A company has a contract with the U.S. Government to employee contractors in Iraq.  They pay these contractors $120k per year.  They employee 1,000 contractors.  That is $120 million in wages.  At the same rate, 6%, they would have to pay $7.2 million in taxes to support the  trust fund.
I found out today that a company who employs contractors in Iraq has set up an office in Dubai. A subsidiary  employs the contractors. When they return to the US and try to collect their unemployment they are told because their employer is in Dubai, they cannot collect unemployment. "But I signed my contract in Houston.  I have a W2."
The original employer, one of the largest in the world, is not liable for the taxes. This is a loophole that saves the company millions of dollars. The office in Dubai is slightly larger than a walk-in closet. There is a file cabinet, a computer and 2 employees to manage the logistics of hiring thousands of people.
This CHAPS me.
Okay I'm done.  On a cuter note, I've attached a picture of further spoiling of my dog by my English friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment