Friday, July 27, 2012

Awesome cocktails & Hailey Tuck


I went with my friend, Amy, and my new fellow, Charles, to see a lounge singer named Hailey Tuck at the East Side Showroom.  It was a bar that reminded me of a speakeasy from the 20s.  There were curtains on all the windows.  The bartenders were dressed in aprons with bands on their arms and they stirred their drinks like professionals.  They served their water and their beer in mason jars.  Their furniture was a mishmash of various styles like it had just been thrown together.  All in all the style worked.

I had a Moscow Mule and it was delicious.  It was all I've ever dreamed of in a cocktail.  The common recipe is:

2 parts vodka
3 parts Ginger Beer
1 part Lime juice
Mix and pour over ice.

It has this really strong flavor that isn't sweet at all.  It was like nothing I expected.  I was very pleased with the result.  Add to it, it was visually pleasing.




The thing I love about this pictures is how nicely Hailey is framed by the hipsters.  Those guys went out of their way to look like they were cooler than everyone.  I clarified with Amy that it is apparently the style for young people to now wear their hair in a style that makes them look as if they cut it themselves with gardening shears.  If you have to go to this much effort to look cool then you should never leave the house.

Hailey sang old-time favorite jazz songs.  She was little and sassy and pretty and she sang really well.  My favorite part of her act is that her dad was also her drummer.  She decided since he was coming to all her shows anyway that she would put him to work.  She knows the music.  She knows the history behind the music.  She was able to recite a fact or two at least.  She feels it in her bones and sings from her happy little heart.  I would go back to that club to see her any time.

My only complaint was that it was a bit pricey.  I do not make a lot of money.  If you want me to see a show in your bar please charge less than $12 per drink.  Also the hostess tried to seat us at the bar first.  I wasn't having that.  Then they wanted to seat me at a table that would have to be climbed over or under to be seated at comfortably.  I was with a date and I wanted to say, "Thanks, ya hussy, for making me look like a cow on my date."  Instead I identified a much more accessible table and said, "We'll sit here."  She wanted to protest. I shot her a look that suggested there would be a disturbance in the force that would result in her tears.  That is a surprisingly effective method of communication.


Here is a link to the bar.   http://eastsideshowroom.com/  They will make you a good old-fashioned cocktail which may be pricey or they have wine and beer too.  It looked like the beer specials ran about $5 a pint.  Unfortunately, I don't drink beer.  It's worth the price of admission.  On their calendar they have Hailey Tuck listed a few times.  I'm fairly certain you won't be sad you went.

My fella also wrote about it on his blog. Here's the link: MusicMissionary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment